Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Seahawks and Sociology in the 2011 Offseason

Hey readers. Just wanted to inform you over the next 4-6 weeks I will be circling back to analyzing the Seahawks from a Sociological perspective. I am going to draw upon the theories of numerous Sociologists and apply those ideas to the Seahawks.


Throughout the season I introduced the concepts of Karl Mannheim's Utopia and Emile Durkheim's Totem rather thoroughly; I will be expanding upon those concepts and introducing further ideas. Frantz Fanon, Michael Foucault, Alexis De Tocqueville, Max Weber, Mary Douglas (sporadically referenced throughout the 2010 season) will all be part of my analysis, and possibly more.


Where to begin? Below I have listed eight, 2010 season articles that incorporate Sociology; some articles feature a couple sentences, others a couple paragraphs on the subject. These should introduce, refresh or deepen your understanding of the concepts introduced during the season--Just going back and looking at these ideas broadened my scope going forward.


I'm excited for this project, as the research is for my first major Sociology essay independent from my studies at Berkeley. Please, keep following and any/all feedback is welcome.


Hopefully these ideas will bring better clarity as to how I see the 'Hawks and Sociology in the same realm, but also broaden your own interest in following sports, and the 'Hawks, beyond a purely physical level.


The introduction of the Totem
http://howlseahawks.blogspot.com/2010/10/on-top-of-nfc-west-but-looking-up-at.html


A brief reference to Douglas


The introduction of Utopia
A an example of Utopia
An example of the Totem
Useful for a glimpse of new theorists to be explored, though none are referenced. 
More on the Totem .

An introduction to continuity and transition, Douglas.  

Douglas on transition and continuity

Finally, I have certainly not forgotten about part 3 of my offseason series. My articles on The Bleacher Report and in-season analysis give a solid indicator as to how I feel about most of the 2010 roster. Part 3 will be posted after my Seahawks Big Board on B/R.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment